Thursday 15 January 2015

January 13th to 14th, 2015 - Desert Camp to Safaga, Egypt

We are predominantly biking through the rural parts of Africa with our rest days (approximately once a week) spent near a centre.  Many of the men wear long robes and head scarves and the women burkas.

Over the past two days we rode took a turn out to the Red Sea, which was beautiful with rugged mountains and turquoise water with long white sandy beaches. Many rich tourist resorts are popping up along the route.  The second night we spent at a relaxing resort (except no hot water and very spotty internet - I guess not one of the rich ones), but what do you expect for $30/night?  Some people opted to stay in their tents on the beach.




That evening a dozen or so of us did some yoga on the beach with this man intently watching us as he drank his cup of coffee and smoked.


Other people's blogs can be accessed from the Tour d'Afrique website.  Some of those may be interesting.

6 comments:

  1. Wow Karen! Sounds so exciting and stimulating. The weather here tomorrow will be -22. Keep enjoying the adventure and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love reading your news and observations. Love to you and Kendy, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, great pictures. Keep the updates coming. Take care and stay safe. +9 and raining here today.
    Love Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good pictures Karen, hope your bike is working well on the sandy roads. Still looks pretty cool at night there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I love this trip (so far)! The next riding day we were going through a mountain range and I started the day with a flat on each tire. One of the Egyptian racers changed my front tire in about 3 minutes...less than the time I took struggling to open the new tube package. The second flat he said 'I think someone is playing with you' and just pumped it up. It went semi-flat again in the mountains when there was not a soul in sight, I didn't want to stop by myself so road on the low pressure until I no longer could. The Surly Troll is serving me very well but I look with envy at those with aluminum road bikes with 25mm tires...but in time my fatties will reign.

    ReplyDelete