Tuesday 20 January 2015

January 18th, 2015 - Aswa to Desert Camp, 145 km

Today we passed the 1,000 km bike mark (only 11,000 left to go).  We are out of the villages and back into the desert and it felt great!  The sun was shining, the road was newly paved, we had a stiff tail wind and short of a few road workers, we had no one hassling us.  People sailed along breaking their own average speeds... so everyone was jovial.  There was one small bike accident which resulted in a fractured femur, the person remains in the hospital and unfortunately this usually means the end of their dream tour after just 2 weeks into it. 

Unfortunately, the screen on my camera broke, so I can't see what I am taking a photo of, so the temptation to stop and take a picture is not there.  On top of that we are back in the desert and it looks like a sea of brown waves as far as you can see to either side. I will be adding some of my favourite photos from days past.


Above is a picture of one of our desert camps at night. Going to the bathroom can be very delicate.



The above picture is of a boy on a donkey who stopped beside myself and another woman and pulled out a phone and snapped about 20 photos.  I asked him if I could take his picture and he agreed and then asked me for money.  I motioned that he took many pictures of me, so he owed me money, he shyly smiled and I gave him some money.  I don't believe in giving handouts along the road but I felt he did earn his money.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your milestone, one of many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds crazy Karen! Be careful out there. Too bad your camera screen broke but take pics anyway as I don't imagine you'll be doing this again. Keep up with the posts. Still waiting for snow here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Across the Highlands MTB Challenge or the Cabot Trail seems very light stuff compared to what you're describing. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1,000 Miles way to go, love the Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting stuff. Love the pictures and imagining...

    ReplyDelete