Monday 30 March 2015

Malawi

My electronics continue to defeat me.  I now can't even send or receive emails on my iPad or phone.  We have been in Malawi now for over a week and crossing the border into Zambia tomorrow.  Malawi is extremely poor and many kids are orphaned.  I met a teacher yesterday that said that 16% of her students are orphans. There are so many kids here.  All of the women have babies on their hips,  another tagging behind and often pregnant.

The countryside is lush and beautiful.  The people wear bright wraps and the kids dirty, holey clothes but they seem sweet and happy.  We hear so much singing along the road, it is great. 

4 comments:

  1. Suggestions
    1 turn airplane mode on then off
    and or
    2 reset network settings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics Karen, reminds me of my 2008 Africa trip, especially the Hippos, Their chorus is quite funny. You were 'lucky' to see a kill like that out in the open.
    Take Care
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great safari pics Karen. I leave for Canada tomorrow, arriving Sunday afternoon if all goes well. I will be able to monitor your progress more consistently from then on, perhaps catch up on older entries. Hope you can clear up the phone issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen
    I am so excited for you, and am loving the vicarious ride along thrill.
    I loved the "bumps ahead" sign with the camels!

    ReplyDelete